The building that is home to Murphy’s Pub has a long and intriguing history. Originally established as Virgil Hahn’s Restaurant & Bar in 1938, where the first drinks were poured, twenty years later, the business changed hands and names. Charles Mahoney took over the business in 1958, putting his name over the front door. Even with a new name, the flavor of the establishment stayed the same, a local watering hole with room for everyone. Mahoney retired in 1969 and sold the business to two young men, a local by the name of Bailey and an Irishman known as Murphy. Not much is known about the mysterious Mr. Murphy. Shortly after taking over the business, he is believed to have returned to Ireland for a visit only to disappear into the political troubles of the time. To honor his lost partner, Bailey changed the name in 1970 to Murphy’s Pub.